In 1665 the Pauline monks started to build this magnificent church on the West side of the castle and dedicated it to the Assumption of Mary. In those times, the newly built church attracted pilgrims from everywhere. The monks offered good spiritual care for the newcomers who were also fascinated by the intricate beauty of the baroque altars.
In the presbytery, there is the three-storey gilt high altar made from black wood. In the centre there is the statue of Mary with Jesus. She stands on the half moon and is surrounded by angels, who are carrying her on clouds and taking her to Heaven. Above the statue, there is a painting of the Baptism of Christ and above that, the Coronation of the Virgin. In addition, there are twelve statues of saints on the altar and the statue of Michael the Archangel on the very top. The altar was made in Lepoglav, Croatia by the Pauline Monks in 1680. Today it is one of the largest gilt altars in Slovenia.
The walls surrounding the high altar were painted in 1739 by Pauline monk John Baptist Ranger. The frescoes depict scenes from the life of the Holy Family, the Annunciation, medallions with motifs from the Lauretan litanies, an illusive dome and a room with a balcony.
At the entrance of the presbytery stand two altars, one on each side. They form an aesthetic wholeness with the high altar. The left altar celebrates the Passion of Christ, the right one is dedicated to St. Paul the Hermit, a source of inspiration for the Pauline monks. There are four chapels along the nave, two on each side. The altars on the left side are devoted to the Black Madonna of Czestochowa and St. Catherine, the ones on the right to St. Thomas the Apostle and St. Barbara.
Around 1760, a side chapel was added, with an altar devoted to St. Francis Xavier. It proudly stands as one of the most beautiful specimen of late Baroque in Slovenia. The chapel was painted by Anton Lerchinger with scenes from the saint's life and the pilgrims that came to seek of him.
The pulpit is also a true masterpiece, with small columns, portraits of angels, leaf ornaments and statues of the Holy Virgin and the Evangelists in its niches.
The door connecting the monastery with the pulpit bears the portrait of St. Paul. On top of the pulpit's canopy there is the statue of Christ, Ruler of the World.
On the organ loft, there are chairs where the monks perform liturgical prayers as well as choir organs, made by the famous organ maker from Celje, Janez Frančišek Janeček in 1764
The church is open all day. We kindly ask the visitors to be aware of its sacredness. Please show your respect by entering quietly and dressed properly.